5 Tips For Finding Inexpensive Flights Within Europe!
Getting a good deal on a flight isn’t always easy—especially if you’re hopping around Europe. Thankfully, there are a few tricks to help you find inexpensive flights and save money. Here are five tips to help you find the best flight deals:
1. Make use of budget airlines. You may not think budget airlines would be your best bet, but you’d be surprised! Many airlines offer discounted flights to popular destinations, so be sure to check the budget airlines for great deals. Plus, flying with budget airlines can sometimes save you time and money.
2. Avoid peak travel periods. Peak travel periods like during the summer, holidays, and national holidays usually mean higher fares. Opting to travel during the off-season or weekdays can save you a lot of money. Traveling during fewer busy times can also help you avoid the long queues and large crowds.
3. Do your research. Don’t just accept the first fare you come across. Searching for flights on multiple websites and ensuring you compare all the best rates available can really help you to save. Also, be sure to check if there are any airline promos or special offers when you book.
4. Take advantage of rewards programs. Signing up for rewards programs can get you discounts and special promotions on flights. Be sure to join all the airlines you regularly fly with so you can get discounts on your flights. Some airlines even have partnership programs with hotels and rental companies, so look into those too!
5. Try flexible itineraries. If you’re able to be flexible with dates and times, you can often find a cheaper flight. Consider leaving a little later or coming home a little earlier, taking a long layover in an exciting city, or unlocking flight routes you never knew existed with some creative routing.
Tricks of the Trade
If you’re willing to put in the work and be flexible, the savings you can get on flights can be quite substantial. Here are some more tricks to save you money:
1. Utilize price-tracking sites. Keep an eye on the price of a flight over time using price-tracking websites like SkyScanner, CheapOair, or KAYAK. Just enter your destination and the dates you’d like to travel and you can get an idea of the average price of flights and when prices are likely to peak.
2. Take advantage of airline sales. Flights sales come up often, so be sure to check airlines’ newsletters and social media accounts to stay up-to-date and snag a killer deal.
3. Look for red-eye flights. Red-eye flights may not be glamorous but they can save you hundreds of dollars. If you’re willing to stay awake for most of your flight and arrive at your destination at an inconvenient hour, you can really save money.
4. Try hidden city/throwaway ticketing. This trick involves booking a flight with a stopover in your destination city that has been discounted significantly due to it’s length. The traveller then exits the flight at the stopover destination rather than flying on to the actual destination, saving a lot of money.
5. Take a train.
If you’re travelling within Europe, sometimes taking a train can save you a gigantic amount of money. Trains are often cheaper than most budget airline flights and can offer an amazing European experience all on their own.
Finding an inexpensive flight doesn’t always mean scouring the web searching for deals. Some simple tips can get you an even better deal:
1. Travel with carry-on luggage. Avoid checking-in your bags as this can add an expensive fee to your ticket. Most European budget airlines offer discounts to those who travel with just a carry-on luggage.
2. Weigh your luggage. Make sure your luggage meets the specifications set by the airline, or you may be charged extra. And remember, airlines charge by weight so pack light.
3. Compare flights. Compare flight fares to the destination you’re travelling to. Be sure to look for both one-way and round-trip flights, as sometimes it’s cheaper to purchase two separate one-way flights than one round-trip.
4. Be aware of extra taxes. Extra taxes and fees can be added to flight fares, so be sure to read the fine print and look for any additional charges before you book. Some budget airlines will charge you for checked-in luggage, seat selection, and even snacks onboard!
5. Look for last-minute deals. You can often find last-minute deals on flights, so be sure to check regularly to see if there are any discounted fares. Airlines often offer deeply discounted tickets at the last minute to fill empty seats.
Need more advice on finding inexpensive flights? Here are some additional resources to make sure you score the best deal on your flight:
1. Follow travel blogs. Keeping tabs on your favourite travel bloggers can help you get insights into the best deals, airlines, and travel hacks to save lots of money.
2. Read reviews. Read reviews from your fellow travellers to help you pick the best airline for your trip. You can even read online reviews about the safety and comfort level of certain budget carriers.
3. Join travel forums. Joining budget travelling forums can help you get real advice from those who have been there and done that. Travel forums are a great way to get first-hand reviews and information about budget flights and what to watch out for.
4. Ask for advice. Ask people you know about their budget travel experience. Chances are, someone close to you may have recently been travelling and might be able to provide valuable insight about budget airline deals.
5. Take the time to research. Doing a thorough search for flights can take time, but the savings can be worth it. Be sure to set aside some time to do your research and compare different airlines, times, and fares before you book your flight.
Q: What are the benefits of flying during the off-season?
A: Flying during the off-season or on weekdays can save you a lot of money. Plus, you can avoid the long queues and large crowds that come with travelling during peak periods.
Q: How can I find the best flight deals?
A: Searching multiple websites for the best rates available and joining airline rewards programs and mailing lists can really help you find the best flight deals. Additionally, flexible itineraries are also a great way to save money on flights.
Q: Are there any risks associated with hidden city ticketing?
A: Yes, hidden city ticketing and throwaway ticketing carry a certain degree of risk. Airlines strict policies may result in repercussions, so you should be familiar with the airline’s policy before booking the flight. Additionally, you may not be entitled to a refund if you do not complete your trip due to a stopover.